Hiring new recruits from external sources can consume a lot of time and money. You have to engage your HR team into the recruitment process, pay consultants for referring suitable applicants, train the new recruits and then go through a waiting period till the new employees fully settles into the job which could take months! Promoting employees within the organization is always the better way to go, especially for small businesses that can’t afford the cost of hiring new recruits. Here are a few tips on how you can use in-house talents t fill up higher posts:
1. If you have a small company, chances are that you will know what skills and abilities every individual working for you has. Make a list of all their educational and professional qualifications as well as soft skills that your employees may have.
2. Keep an eye out for high performers. People who are willing to go the extra mile and show an interest in development are likely to evolve into better roles over a course of time. Remember to be unbiased in your evaluation of your employees.
3. Make sure that every employee has a career path to follow. Have your HR team have one to one sessions with each employee to know how they see themselves progressing in the organization and plot a timeline based graph for their growth.
4. Have in-house training courses arranged that aim at developing employee skills that will benefit your organization. Keep a check on which employees shine during these training sessions.
5. Let your employees know that you are interested in promoting them and encourage them to approach you when they feel they are ready to take on more responsibilities.